★ My 2 Mini Dimples ★
Free Unicorn Cursors at www.totallyfreecursors.com
ADVERTISEMENTS





title: Quick update: Coping with homework stress and busy schedule
date: Monday, January 19, 2015
time : 5:16 PM


I really really wanna update this space more often like the past 
but even the spare time I have, is not enough!

So here, a quick one again...

Ever since Aisleyne was in Primary 1, I need to spend even more time than usual on their schoolwork. Most of the time at home; after work and on a weekend, before n' after our usual family's weekend activities, I need to be seated in with the kids for long hours coaching their schoolwork.

Getting burned out all days! 

I know beginning is always the hardest and understand that schoolwork is often the most difficult part of the child’s busy schedule. 

I hope as it goes, everything will turn out to be better. 

For now, Aisleyne is really struggled with a writing disability, she requires a close guidance and monitoring which made the work and the amount of time required feel unending at times - both to her and to me. 


  I know children are all different in how they feel about and approach homework and I can’t possibly coped teaching 2 of my kids at a time especially during weekdays (with just that 1 or 2 hours for so many homework to guide) after back from work, so husband got to step in and took on the responsibility in helping with our elder girl, Amabel for her subjects. 

It helped the routine become more consistent and effective for our girls. 

.... that has always been me, strict and firm in whatever

And all the while, Hus has been taking the responsibility in teaching Amabel for her Maths since Primary 1 because she is very weak in Maths! I don’t know why and no matter how I explained to her, she just doesn’t get it. 

I was frustrated; losing my cool and when I’m….Amabel got frightened and stressed out. This is likely not going to help her get the work done and learned, Hus is definitely much more patience than me and hence the better person to take on the responsibilities “teaching” her. But often, I still need to step in to monitor, teach and get her to be more discipline and learn for her Maths. 

But one thing that is great about Amabel is that she is a self-motivated child, who came home, bathes, has her meal, sat down and dug into their homework. When we are back and for their homework time, we just need to check and teach her on those difficult one. 

It is really a struggle for Aisleyne because she’s studying afternoon session, back home bathe, dinner and has to start doing her homework already. So if her sister finishes her homework more quickly, I have to get her to be respectful of her sister by doing non-disruptive activities quietly.


 — but well even with this division of labor with Hus, we still had to make adjustments to our schedules, our lives and our expectations to make sure our kids turned it in on time.
 
We also have to manage and plan our time really well even on a weekend now. 
 @Jurong East Big Box


Now our Saturday meetup time with friends is always late afternoon but Amabel will be engaged in tuition.

just me and Aisleyne on the past Saturday, on the way to meet Meiqi, Sereen and their boys  





 So I need to make up for her on a Sunday where I will plan something for kids again and keep them away from books for hours to relax and reward them with fun activities with their friends and cousin.

   @ East Coast Park with cousin and sis-in-law
psst...i hope I have the time to blog on this soon too
 
HOMEwork is really a chore for both the child and parent. 
I thought both girls are now bigger, required less care but nope! In fact, I’m busier now when both are in primary school. Lol~

And to make the learning a breeze, I set a clear expectation around homework time and their responsibilities. I get them to know that I expected them to get the work done on time and to try their best, the best of their abilities. 

They should take control and know that homework is another part of their daily responsibilities, and my responsibility is to guide them, make suggestion, support them through the challenging tasks, and teach them about personal responsibility only. 


Same for checking their time-timetable daily and knowing what to pack for their own school bag for the next day. Aisleyne is still learning it now, since she’s just into her 3rd week in primary school. So far, she has adapted to primary school culture and her writing ability is slowly improving and able to write her words neatly and be responsible in her schoolwork and get thing done without throwing tantrum.

Have a little fun in between, adding in break time for kids and we took a vlog
haa....


lots of pics in my cameras and I hope I can be back soon again to blog about their first week of school.

Labels: , , , , ,


Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comment(s):

Wanna say something to us on this entry? (Click here)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home