★ My 2 Mini Dimples ★
Free Unicorn Cursors at www.totallyfreecursors.com
ADVERTISEMENTS





title: Special bonding - A Battle?
date: Tuesday, September 09, 2008
time : 5:54 PM

Special bonding - A Battle?


My milk supply kick-in in less than 4 hours after delivery when the nurse pushed Aisleyne to me for nursing.

Aisleyne is very smart, she can suckle very well. The nurse checked whether I got milk supply, she is so surprise, just a gentle pressing, so much milk produced and she said to Aisleyne, "You are very lucky, your mommy got so much milk for you once you are borned."

Every latch-on take about 15 mins on each breast. Everything seems to be a breeze until 2nd week; sometime the breastfeeding can be a battle between us. She can latch-on for about 5 mins then start struggling.

I not sure what is happening, the problem I encountered during Amabel that time is due to the blocked milk duct and incorrect positioning. But I am sure this time is not due to that.

I called Mrs Wong's mobile phone (TMC Lactation consultant), told her my problem ->
Baby will struggle, gulp, gasp cough or choke while nursing whenever I got a let-down and when my breast is too full. Sometime she will pull off the breast or spit up the milk

She said I am having 'Forceful Let-down (Milk Ejection Reflex) & Oversupply'
and she told me never ever no wear nursing bra if I am breastfeeding, as it will cause blocked milk duct etc.

After her advices, I burp and massage baby's tummy frequently if she is swallowing a lot of air through the battle.
- start wearing nursing bra, I never wear bra for the first 2 weeks
- Pump or hand express so the breast is not too full, then put baby to the breast.
- Wait until let-down occurs, then take baby off the breast. Once the flow slows, you can put your baby back to the breast.
- Nurse more frequently. This will reduce the amount of milk that accumulates between feedings, so feedings are more manageable for baby.
- Nurse when baby is relaxed but not crying. Baby will suck more gently at this time, and the milk flow will be slower.

I try to use the above method but sometimes there is still abit of struggling between us when I never get in time to take Aisleyne off the breast when let-down occured.

My Medela PIS + a pail of warm boiled water with cloth for cleaning breast at the same time massaging breast to simulate blood flow.

I started to pump breastmilk once a day hence Aisleyne is bottlefeeding once a day.
I can express about 200ml each session; 100ml to be store in fridge and 100ml in freezer as a backup (in case low in milk supply or if I got fever where I got to stop latch on Aisleyne for days etc)

This is how i handle the following expressed breastmilk;

I stored quite alot of
Frozen expressed breastmilk in my Medela freezer milk bag and bagged in ziploc bag
- label with the date and time the milk is expressed and also it expiry date
- to consume within 6 weeks
- thawed in refrigerator and to be consume within 48 hours (including thawing process)
- taste the milk before giving to baby, if turn sour I will discard

Chilled expressed breastmilk in storage bottle and bagged in ziploc bag
- label with the date and time the milk is expressed and also it expiry date
- maintain the breastmilk in a fridge at not more then 4 degree celsius
- to consume within 48 hours
- taste the milk before giving to baby, if turn sour I will discard

-> store for one bottlefeed per day

I also start teaching my new maid on how to handle my breastmilk especially when I back to work, she is the one who will prepare the breastmilk for Aisleyne.

I keep reminding her to
- make sure she wash her hands till very clean before touching the bottle and breastmilk
- take note of the breastmilk expiry date
- to warm the breastmilk in a warmer with the water not heat up to more than 60 degree celsius or warm breastmilk in a mug of warm water.
- A slight spinning of the bottle in the warmer thoroughly heats the milk throughout the bottle, without having to shake it.
- alway test the breastmilk, make sure the breastmilk not heat up too hot (as nutrients in the breast milk may be destroyed), once it is warm give to baby.
- Test the temperature of the milk before feeding.
- Discard any unfinished remainder in an hour time upon warming up
Is really not easy being a mother, especially a breastfeeding mother with more than 1 kid.
Plus got to handle a forgetful maid!

Sleeping soundly after a fierceful battle then a contented latch-on

Labels: ,


Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comment(s):

Wanna say something to us on this entry? (Click here)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home